Skip to main content

CTC#112 Birthday Blast in a Box with mini tutorial for this Size

Welcome to another week with CASEing the Catty as we seek inspiration from pages 8-13 of the new Occasions Catalogue.
While I love the Cupcakes and Carousels paper, I am totally in love with the Birthday Blast and Star Blast Edgelits and I was inspired by the box on the bottom of page 11, but I have created a Card in a Box. I had to play around with dimensions a little to get the width for the edgelit, and created a long flat box ("landscape") rather than the conventional taller "Portrait"box. So these dimensions fit neatly into our Crumb Cake Envelopes or you can easily make one to suit- and the beauty is that from one sheet of 12x12 DSP you will get the envelope plus the decorative panels for your card.





You can see how neatly it folds flat and slides into the envelope!, And you can see the single bridge adhered to the inside of the box.


I stamped the base of the box with the teeny star just like the image in the catalogue. 
 You need to make sure that the stars sit down low enough so that the tip is covered by the back of the card and protected.

There are plenty of tutorials for Card in a Box, but these are my dimensions for this size Card
 (they are imperial as it's just simpler for this card)
  • Cut one piece of A4 cardstock down the centre (10.5cm or 41/8"), and trim to 11" long
  • place in the scoring tool Landscape
  • Score at 1/2", 1-5/8" 5-3/4", 6-7/8"
  • rotate and score at 2-1/8" only along the first four sections- leaving the last large panel complete
  • cut the tab off as shown
  • cut along the score lines down to the centre score line along and fold these flaps outwards- you may like to trim these in a very thin V so they sit better but that's optional
  • glue the small tab in place to create the box
  • cut single bridge piece 1 1/2" x4 7/8", score at 3/8" and 4 1/2"
  • score the ends of the bridge piece and adhere it level with the top of the inside of the box
  • cut the piece of 8 x 8 Envelope paper , and cut the decorating panels from the remaining strips- the Envelope Paper is thinner than regular paper and folds nicely around the box to hold the flaps down in place.
    • to make the envelope take your piece of 8 x 8, Punch and Score at 3 1/2", then proceed as per usual method with envelop punch board
    • Decoration Panels from the remaining strips
      •  cut 4" x 4"  -2 pieces
      • cut 8" x 1 1/2" -1 piece
      • Whisper White/ Neutral cut 3 3/4" x3 3/4"  - 1 piece for reverse.
  • Cut out the star banner and adhere it to the bridge making sure it's low enough that the point of the star is protected.
  • decorate as desired

 

I also made a few more samples with this including a cute shaker and post those this week so check back - or make sure you have filled in your email address in the "Follow me by email" box on the right side of this page 

I'd love to see any that you create, and don't forget we love it when you join in. 
It's so easy. Create a card using the catalogue pages 8-13, take a photo of it and post it to our Facebook page


 You can see the full line-up for this week here,

and you can follow on or back using these link buttons.
  Rachel is next on the hop


And before me is Monique this week



I'm also going to enter these in the Global Design Project #071 for this week - 3D or off the page items


Thanks so much for looking,
Liz


Comments

  1. I apologize! I'm having trouble reading your instructions you wrote on your Crumb Cake c/s. I couldn't make out piece nor the envelope piece. I have scratches on both lens of my glasses. I'm getting my new ones today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria, thanks for your message. I hope you have got your glasses sorted today. I have been back and edited the post so that now all the information written on the photos is now in the typed description and the instructions. Hope that helps- have fun making some of these!!

      Delete
  2. These look amazing Elizabeth. Thanks so much for the tutorial! I will be sure to have a play and make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous Elizabeth! Thanks for all the instructions and measurements....all those extra things can take so much time and it's truly appreciated. :)
    Thanks for sharing and playing along to the Global Design Project this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Louise, I sometimes have to document the measurements here so I can fined them again!! but i do love a 3D card!!!

      Delete
  4. Wow I love it!! I especially like the glitter one! And thank you for the instructions, I'll be coming back to use them later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is an amazing pop up box card, you are so generous in sharing your measurements for this amazing design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning projects And Thankyou for doing all the hard work and measuring. And sharing. This is such an amazing card. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous card, Elizabeth. I especially like the Dapper Denim and silver glimmer version. Super for a milestone birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou all for your lovely comments. I'd love to see what you make if you use these dimensions!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first card in a box that i have seen with these dimensions. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it,
In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Liz

Popular posts from this blog

Rolled paper roses Frames

Two new Frames for the Handmade Expo Markets this weekend. These are hand rolled vanilla paper roses, with newsprint DSP in the red version. Sentiment is from Painted Petals, making the paper roses is made easier using the Spiral Flower Die thanks for looking. Of course these can be mDe to order, liz

Envelope Dies perfect for an Acetate Tent card and some new DSP

After creating yesterday's cards I was on a roll and created this one using the beautiful Gilded Autumn DSP and the Fancy Phrases stamp set.  I really love the sentiments in this set.  It is such a simple design and easy to create. You can find all the directions on yesterday's post for Just Add Ink (JAI#518)  I watercoloured the white leaf after I had adhered the gold veins just to soften it, and I added a strip of mint DSP to the front of one of the tent stands as the white was a bit stark. That's the cool thing about this design, you can change it up plenty of ways. I'm sure we can all send these type of cards at the moment. I hope you are safe and well, and staying connected, wherever you are. I hope you have a creative week and remember,  "don't just post online,  post something pretty!" cheers, Liz Product List Ornamental Envelopes Bundle [ 155168 ] $83.50 Envelopes  Dies [ 153531 ] $63.00 Shimmery White A4 Car

#Onstage Sydney 2022 Fancy Flora Suite , Display Stamping # 1 beginner, casual, avid samples

I'm so honoured to have been asked to present the premier suite "Fancy Flora" from the new Mini Catalogue - what a treat. ( Available January 5 - May 12023 ). This is one of a series of posts showing some of the projects I created using this suite. It's a long one so grab a cuppa and enjoy my tips and tricks and first projects. Relieved the presentation is over and with my samples on the board! Firstly I had the pleasure of showing the suite- 2 stampsets, 2 sets of dies, some 6x6 DSP, Shimmer Card, Ribbon and Gems. With every new set I allow myself plenty of time to just play with it and explore the possibilities in colour and layout. In doing this I create a series of Mood boards that make it much faster when I come to use the product to quickly identify how many dies in each set, how many stamps and which ones match the dies, and which ribbons and bling I have in my stash- or in the current catalogues that match the colours of the new suite. That way I don't for